Windows 8.1 is more than a year old, and as such, it has become one of the more common versions of Windows found on newer business computers and on all store-bought computers. While users have benefited from improvements with Windows 8.1, some are not 100% sure about the Start Screen, and more specifically how to find their installed apps on it.
How to find all of your installed apps from the Start ScreenWhen you install a new app on your computer, regardless of whether it is a Metro style app, or a traditional desktop style app, you are going to need to be able to find and open it. Because we often install a large number of programs on our computers, it can be a challenge to actually locate these apps via the file explorer used in Windows.
The easiest way to do find your apps is to:
- Switch to the Start Screen if you are currently in Desktop mode. This can be done by tapping on the Windows key.
- Hover your mouse at the lower-left of your screen.
- Click the arrow that is pointing down.
If you would like to sort your apps differently, such as by name or date installed, click the drop-down arrow beside APPS at the top of your screen and select the sorting option you prefer. Should you have a large number of apps installed and want to quickly find an app, click on the magnifying glass at the top-right of your screen and enter the name of the app you are looking for.
Adding apps to the Taskbar or the Start ScreenWhen 8.1 was introduced, Microsoft removed the feature where tiles were automatically created in the Start Screen and apps were automatically pinned to the taskbar. If you would like to either pin an app to the Start Screen or the taskbar you can do so by:
- Opening the Apps menu via the Start Screen.
- Searching for the app you would like to pin, either by scrolling through the list, or clicking the magnifying glass and entering the name.
- Right-clicking on the app.
- Selecting either: Pin to Start or Pin to taskbar.
If you are looking to learn more about Windows 8.1, and how it can be used in your business effectively, contact us today.